Monday, September 2, 2019

Late Summer Fishing

I got a new tackle backpack for father's day and have been using it all summer, I am more than pleased with it so far! It can hold all my gear and is quick and easy to carry. There is lots of room for my trays and plenty of pouches and compartments for my other gear!
 I had this roller stand in my garage that I would use for an outfeed holder on my table saw, it fits perfectly in the back of my Jeep, I ran a bungee cord across the middle seats hangers and I can fit 4 to 6 rods in my Jeep for quick access!
 The summer is great because the sun comes up early and I can get out on the weekends before anyone in my house wakes up! I tried to get to the lake by 5:30am and then be home in time to cook breakfast at 7:30am, that gives me 2 solid hours to find some fish!
The closest spot to my house is Terra Lake, so often times I will head there to make the most out of my time! It has plenty of large mouth bass to catch!

 Sometimes I work the fishing dock on one side of the lake...

 Or move over to the gravel boat launch on the other side of the lake.
 I've been trying this new rig this summer, I have heard it referred to as a "Tokyo Rig", it's basically a weighted drop shot that uses stiff wire to connect the weight to the hook...this bounces the hook up off the bottom and gives a little different look for the fish...and it's weedless!
 and catches fish!
 My go to, confidence set up, is the Texas Rig, bullet weight and 3/0 hook. I've been using this Googan Baits Drag and Drop with a lot of success!
 It too catches fish!
 Another method I like is jigging. This jig has a weed guard and paid with a black and blue ribbon tail worm. I have been using this when the water is stained or murky with some success





 I have also been having a lot of luck with this Googan Baits Bandito Bug, one side is green pumpkin the other side is june bug (purple)


 I also will head out, when it's not too hot, and fish over my lunch break. I have a couple of little ponds close to my office that are a 5 minute drive away, this gives me about 40 mins to fish! I caught this 2 1/2 lbs bass at the West Des Moines Library pond!
 My personal "lunch time" best!


This summer has been pretty good for fishing and I am looking forward to the transition to fall as fish are trying to bulk up for winter and eat lots!

No comments: