Monday, November 18, 2013

Barn Door

I realized that I hadn't posted any pictures of the Barn Door project (thanks for the comment Elizabeth!)  We love the idea of a barn door and we were trying to figure out where to utilize one.  We thought it would be a great addition to the main floor powder bath.  Our good friends, the Phillips, have an old family farm with some old barns.  We bought the hardware from them.  I gave the rail a good sanding and then a fresh coat of black paint.
 I was able to hit two studs on both ends of the rail.  For the middle bolt, I cut a hole in the drywall from the bathroom side and added some bracing to make sure it won't fall down.
 The rail is secure and ready for a door!
 The door hardware needed some work, I ended up cutting off the old wheels and added new ones.
 For the door, I used pre-primed mdf boards and used a Kreg pocket jig to make pocket holes...
 All laid out...
 ...with pocket holes to attach everything together.
 The planks attached together.  I then added the front board to make the frame and attached the brackets.
 ...and hung up and ready to roll!
 Added a handle and we have a functional bathroom door!
It took a little work to adjust the rollers so they will slide inside the rail, but after some fine tuning the door is working great!

No comments: