Monday, November 18, 2013

Coat Closet

Time for another home project update!  Today's feature...the coat closet.  For those of you that don't what the details of the project, here is the before...
 ...and here is the after.  Old doors removed, barn door for the bathroom and open space for the coat closet.
 Now for the details.  We started during "construction week" by pulling out the old doors...jambs and all.  Brent helped me add new dry wall, metal corners and get everything taped and mudded.  We then used a can of spray texture to put the final touch before painting!
 Then to the stencil, I started at the bottom knowing that there would be a bench to cover it up if I messed up...I used a repositionable spray adhesive on the back, that way I could move and stick the stencil as I went!  The stencil is a 16 x 16 square...so two blocks down...lots to go!
 I worked my way up the back wall, bending the corners as much as I could.
For the bench, we used two of Ikea's Expedit cubes and secured them to the wall.  Then cut a slab of mdf for the top.  Then Heather found a foam pad for the top.
Heather also found some old pillow's at Goodwill for $2 or $3 each.  Then she found these great pillow covers at Hobby Lobby for $5.  New pillows for under $10!
Then we added coat hooks to the back and side walls to hang our jackets!
I ended up creating another stencil from a sheet of leftover vinyl to paint the corners, it was easier to bend and seal into the corners.
The finished product, baskets under the bench have our hats and gloves.
We still need to find a fabric to cover the bench, but it is pretty much finished!

2 comments:

Elisa Clark said...

It looks amazing!!! Where did you get your barn door track? I've been watching prices on flat track systems for a couple years but since we need to have 4 doors on a 20 foot track I haven't ever found one for a reasonable price. I love the look of yours. Want to share details?? :)

Margaret said...

What a creative vision for both those spaces. I've never seen anything like that for a front coat closet! AWESOME.

Word to the wise: have Trigg start hanging up his own coat and putting away his own shoes if you aren't already. He will love the responsibility and it will be come a habit quickly. (We have hooks at child-level for coat, sweatshirt, and school bag, a basket for hats and mittens and another basket for shoes.)