Monday, September 22, 2014

Bathroom Re-do

Behind that sliding barn door was a powder bathroom that was in need of some updating, so that's what we did.  Heather found an inspiration photo on Pinterest, so I ran with it!
I usually get really excited at the start of projects and forget to take "before" photos, it happened again with this project, I already started pulling down the lighthouse wallpaper when Heather reminded me "did you take photos?"
So these are my two before photos.  There was green and maroon light house wallpaper boarder and a sponge paint effect on the walls...
Here is the old light fixture and vanity...(mirror already removed).  Step 1...remove everything
Sink...out
Vanity...out
Step 2...replace with new stuff: additional sub floor
...and piece in new floor.
Next, add "planks" to the wall and a barn light fixture.  We found this light on Amazon.
Prime the planks
Next I added the counter top.  This I built out of pine, two 1x10's for the top and a 1x4 for the front.  Stained with Rustoleum "Kona" stain and sealed with Minewax Helmsman Urathane
It is somewhat of a "floating" counter top
Closer look at the finish
Then I added the sink and faucet, mounted on top of the counter
almost finished...
And done, mirror installed...
 Added a fun rug and an old ladder for little boys to climb up to wash their hands after using the "big boy potty!"
 On the other side, I built these floating shelves out of 1x4's and 1x8's, stained with the same Kona finish.
 ...and a gentle reminder to "wash your hands"
There you have it, a re-done bathroom with a barn inspired feel.

No comments: