Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Window Project

Our house was built in 1950 and we love it. It has a lot of charm, but was isn't charming are the windows...which I think are original to the house. Summer is here and the Comfort's needed a house project, so we turned to the windows!
We are replacing the windows on the main floor of our house, then putting on new shutters and giving the house a new paint color...sounds like a busy summer.
The project got kicked off Memorial Day weekend. Big thanks to the Pella VL's for the hook-up on the windows, it is awesome to have family who work for Pella Corp!
Brent came over on Monday and we got started. The old windows came out easier than expected. We did have to cut the plaster walls to allow for the new wider windows, which means I will be installing new trim on the inside.
Riley came outside to watch our progress...
...and there it is, a new energy efficient double hung window!
One down...let's tackle the other one. As we pulled the second window out, we found a little bit of an ant problem. I quickly got some killer spray and killed as many as possible. I wasn't exactly thrilled to find these little pests!
I did call Miller Pest Solutions, "Miller the Killer" and they came out to look at our problem. He said that the ants are climbing our tree, to the branches the hang over our roof, falling onto the roof and getting behind the siding. Cut back the branches, spray the tree and we should clear up the problem...my spirits lifted once again!

We did get the second window in. 2 down, 5 to go!
(more updated to come)

1 comment:

the Cavens said...

Great job guys! Can't wait to see the finished project.