Monday, March 28, 2011

Book Review: Through Painted Deserts

I just finished reading "Through Painted Deserts" by Donald Miller, I really enjoyed this book.
Donald Miller is a storyteller, he does an excellent job of getting me interested in his story and what he has to tell me. As I was reading this book, I felt like I was right there with him on his journey as he traveled across the country. The book follows Miller and his friend Paul on a three month road trip as they travel from Houston, Texas north to Oregon in a VW camping van.

I really enjoyed how Donald Miller shares both the highs and the lows of the trip. From the van breaking down numerous times to hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to watching the sunrise over the desert, all the while, we get a glimpse of what Miller is thinking and how he is contemplating his relationship to God. We get to tag along with these two guys as they are on a pilgrimage through life. In many aspects I can see how their journey relates to a pilgrimage that, what I think, we are all taking.

All in all, this was a great book, a quick read and it made me want to move to the Pacific Northwest!

2 comments:

tsinia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JPhillips said...

I love Donald Miller's books! He draws me into the story he is telling and helps me think about my own story in a new way!