Friday, May 6, 2011

Klompen Classic

Every year, the Wednesday before Tulip Time is the Klompen Classic 5k. I have ran in this race every year since 2005 and this year drew the largest crowd yet with just over 2,000 runners and walkers completing the 5k!
Before the 5k goes, there is a kids race. Nathan was running in the kids race this year and he was super excited to be wearing his fast Nike's!
...all lined up at the start!

We asked him if he won and he replied "No, but I did get a ribbon and a popsicle!" Just as good as winning!

As I was getting warmed up for my race, Nathan wanted to give me a high five to wish me good luck!

...all lined up at the start!

...and we are off and running.

Thumbs up and smiling as I pass all the tulips!

My cheering squad trying to keep warm in the wind, thanks Pella VL's for cheering!

...and here I come down the home stretch.

...and into the finish. I finished in a time of 17.27 for 8th place. If your interested in the complete results, click here.

After the race I talked with Julius Rotich, the winner in 15.40, he's a really nice guy and really fast! Heather and I after the race, she is always on the course cheering me on! Thanks babe!


My dad and I, they came to cheer me on too!

Chris Lauman ran with his son Chase this year, Chase finished in 30.54...pretty fast for a 6 year old!

I also talked my friends, Doug and Heather Gaumer, to come and run in the race, Heather wasn't too sure about running the 5k, but the both finished with smiles! Nice job guys!

What a great way to kick off Tulip Time, nice weather and a fun 5k. It is always fun to see friends, family...and the tulips!

No comments: