Monday, July 21, 2008

Garage Sale!

This past Saturday morning, the Siskow's and the Comfort's had a garage sale! With minimal advertising, Craigslist and cardboard signs, we still had a good crowd and sold most of our stuff. Allow me to walk you through part of the morning. The garage sale is planned from 8 to 12. I agreed to pick up Aaron at his house at 7:15, allowing Dawn a little more time to get ready. I am an early riser, so i got up around 6, made some coffee and was out the door at 6:45 to strategically place some signs and get the ever so important Krispy Kreme donuts. All is going according to plan, 3 signs are place, donuts are acquired, and Aaron is in the car. It is now 7:30 and we are about to hang another sign when my cell phone rings. "Home" says my caller-id. Heather is on the other line and she says "There is this white mini-van that has circled the house 3 times and they have just parked in front of the house. What should I do?" "Nothing" I reply, "Stick to your guns, we don't open till 8, no early birds!" I hang up the phone, we tag another pole with our garage sale info and head home to get the final preparations. When I get home, Heather informs me that the early bird in the white mini not only parked but got out and came to the front door, rang the door bell and asked if she could take a look. Heather was brave and told the gal we don't open till 8, come back then!


So aside from the early bird, everything went smoothly. Here is a picture of the white wicker bedroom furniture set, one of our "hot" items. I think Dawn had her eye on taking that home with her.







Of course, Riley was outside helping with all the sales. She got to tell everyone good morning as they walked up our driveway.









Can't have a garage sale without having a fashion show!










Another "hot" item for the day was the hockey gear. Aaron parted with the shin guards, gloves and face mask. The guy who bought them was a good guy, he worked for the Bucs and his sons were taking an interest in hockey. Hockey Man walked away with the deal of the day, two shin guards, two gloves, helmet with face cage, hockey socks and an assortment of other hockey goods all for $15 bucks! WOW! Not more then 2 minutes after the sale, there was some definite sellers remorse as a tear came into Aaron's eye. Being a Central grad, I am quick on my toes, so I found an old hockey stick in the garage and gave it to Aaron, which quickly healed up his bleeding wounds.


Here we have Money Bags counting his earnings from a hard days work!
All in all, it was a success!


3 comments:

siskow said...

Your decision for Heather to "stick to her guns" probably cost us a good 75 cents. Nice going.

the_comforts said...

I hate garage sale snubbers!

sean said...

If I've learned anything about garage sales, it's "Never let anyone else price your stuff." My mom volunteered to price a bunch of our stuff last summer when my wife and I had a garage sale. Good idea, I thought, since we got a late start getting ready for it.

As a result, we sold a perfectly functional,* year-old dustbuster for $1. After that, we started double-checking the prices on the rest of the goods, and then putting more realistic prices on a number of items.

I guess the main thing to take away from this is actually don't let *my* mom price your stuff.

Sincerely,
Siskow's friend, Sean


*Perfectly functional means it totally sucked.