Thursday, July 24, 2008

Random Thought


A random thought came to my mind today as I was getting a soda from the vending machine. There is a poster for a school supply drive hanging next to the soda machine, I think that is great. As I was reading the poster I noticed some of the items needed are pens and pencils, loose leaf paper, crayons, etc. There it was, my random thought. Why do we call paper, loose leaf paper? Where did the leaf come from? We don't call one sheet of paper a "leaf" of paper, so why then is a stack or package of sheets of paper called "loose leaf" paper? I guess I can see "loose" because it is not bound into a notebook, but that leaf is still a mystery to me. It might be fun if we did call one sheet of paper a leaf. "Hey, can I borrow a leaf of paper?"

2 comments:

adam said...

leave it to me and go try and find an answer for you about the loose-leaf paper. i found one, but lost motivation to post it :-)

sean said...

I'll do it, I'm totally motivated (read: nothing better to do): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looseleaf