Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Screw Shoes

With all the ice and snow, people ask me if I still run outside and how do I not fall down. I do continue to run outside and this year I have a new weapon for battling the winter conditions...Screw Shoes! A couple of the guys I run with tried it last winter with success, so I thought it was time I try to get some traction too. We found the idea here, and so far they have been working. I took an older pair of training shoes, bought some 3/8 inch sheet metal screws

...grabbed my drill and put in some screws. The website says you can use up to 1/2 inch, but I opted for the 3/8 inch and I can't feel them through my shoe!
With "gel" or "air" in the heel, you do have to be a little careful with the placement of the screws.
I added 6 screws to each shoe and I have noticed a difference when running on the ice!
...and when you hit pavement, you might think the screws would be annoying, but it sounds more or less like a rock in your shoe...small price to pay for some added traction.

No comments: