Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Book Review - The Sacred Journey

I just finished reading the book, The Sacred Journey by Charles Foster; this is one of the 7 or 8 books in the Ancient Practices Series. Editor Phyllis Tickle warns the reader that every person who reads this book will disagree with at least something that Foster writes about. I think this is a good "warning" because he does make some bold statements, but overall I thought this was a great book!

I really enjoyed the topic of a pilgrimage. It reminds me of a sermon series that I listened to from Pastor Kevin Korver at Third Reformed Church in Pella. Kevin also talks about the importance of a pilgrimage. Having that fresh in my mind, I really enjoyed this book. Both are calling out the importance of slowing down our lives and truly following Jesus call when he says "Follow me". I also like how Foster addresses that fact that a pilgrimage doesn't always need to be to the Holy City, it can be, but a pilgrimage can even happen on your way to church. In Kevin's sermon he challenged his congregation to walk to church as a way to prepare for worship. Foster challenges the reader that the "where" isn't as important as the journey. This book isn't so much a "how-to" be on a journey, rather it is a challenge as to "why" we are on this journey. Foster also warns us that we will be changed by a pilgrimage, which I think is a good reminder.
All in all, I really like this book.

*disclaimer, i was given this book free through BookSneeze.com

No comments: